More and more people publish the address of their LinkedIn profile on their CV. This can be a good idea, but please customize the link first.
The reason is simple: LinkedIn automatically creates an address that looks bad. Here’s an example I just made up:
Now wouldn’t you love to get rid of these annoying characters at the end?
Just follow these easy steps
- Log into your LinkedIn account
- Go to the menu at the top and select “Profile” >> “Edit Profile”
- At the end of the first section look for “Public Profile” followed by your current address. Click “Edit”
- At the top you’ll see “Your Public Profile URL”. Click “Edit”
- Enter your name and confirm by clicking “Set Address”
Congratulations, you’re all done!
What if your name is already taken?
First of all, don’t panic! Then find a variation to your name while trying to stay as close to the original as possible.
With our initial example it could be “MickeyTMouse” if your middle name is “Tiberius” or “MMouse” or “MTMouse” etc.
Just keep it professional and save the cool / funny / weird ideas for Facebook 😉
Something you can do right now
- Customize your LinkedIn Profile Address
- If you see that one of your LinkedIn contacts has an “ugly” address, you could send them a link to this article 😉
- And then read this article on how to customize links to websites like your blog or the homepage of your company